недеља, 3. јул 2016.

Krka National Park - Burnum

Near the Krka National park is a Roman Legionary camp and town - Burnum. The remains include the amphitheatrer and the aqueduct.


The camp was erected at the turn of the new era at a strategically important position from which the Romans could control the crossing over the Krka river, called Titius in Roman time
It is located 2.5 km north from Kistanje, and 3.5 km from my grandpa's house.
When my dad was young, he and other children from the village found some artefacts, like old coins. I saw in the field old stone sewerage. I remember when I was 12 years old I went to the field on the hill and I was watching  how they excavatied. Today, former field on the hill became small amphitheater. But only two of the original five arches have been preserved.

Burnum became during Hadian's era a municipium and the population grew around the camp.
Visitors today can see the arches of the headquarters of the camp and the only military amphitheatre in Croatia.  Weapons, tools and objects of everyday use belonging to soldiers and civilian inhabitants are on display in the new Burnum museum.

Нема коментара:

Постави коментар